Please review information below regarding 3 school closure situations due to weather or other reasons: (1) school closure; (2) delayed start; or (3) early release.
Please note: If all schools are open, announcements may not be sent to parents or the media or on the PSD website. Please do not call schools or district offices.
1. School Closures Due to Weather, Road Conditions
Decisions about weather-related school closures are made by 5:30 a.m. Parents and media outlets are notified immediately.
• Parents and staff will be notified by email, the PSD voice messaging system, and on the PSD website. Please keep your email and phone information current.
• Media outlets notified: Parents may tune in to local radio and television stations to find out about school closures. Spanish radio stations KGRE 1450AM and KJJD 1170AM will also be notified for Spanish-speaking families.
• B.A.S.E. Camp: When schools are closed, B.A.S.E. (Before and After School Enrichment) Camp will be closed.
2. Delayed Start of Schools Due to Weather, Road Conditions:
If bad weather or questionable road conditions exist, PSD may implement a delayed start of all schools by 2 hours. Delayed start decisions are usually made by 5:30 a.m.
• Parent and staff will be notified by email, the PSD voice messaging system and on the PSD website. Local media will also have delayed start information.
• Bus pick up times will be 2 hours later than regularly scheduled pick-up times. Traffic and road conditions may increase travel time for buses. Please dress your child warmly in case of a longer wait time. Parents are encouraged to walk their children to bus stops and avoid walking along the roadways. Sidewalks are safer even if these areas are not cleared of snow.
• Drop off and arrival times are 2 hours later than regular arrival times for students being dropped off by parents or walking to school. Do not arrive earlier.
• Kindergarten and Early Childhood: Morning-only kindergarten programs and morning early childhood programs are canceled when there is a delayed start schedule. Afternoon kindergarten and afternoon Early Childhood programs will run on normal schedules. Full-day kindergarten and full-day Early Childhood programs will start 2 hours later than normal.
• B.A.S.E. (Before and After School Enrichment) Camp will open as normally scheduled for students attending these programs. If your childcare provider is other than B.A.S.E. Camp, contact them for start times.
• School dismissal times will remain on regular schedules, including bus drop-off times in neighborhoods and parent pick-up times at schools.
3. Early Release of Schools Due to Weather, Road Conditions:
If the weather suddenly changes to adverse conditions, PSD may decide to release students early. Parents are urged to develop a plan for the possibility of their student’s early release home.
• Parent notification: When PSD makes a decision to close schools earlier than the regularly-scheduled release times, parents will be notified by phone. Please make sure family contacts and telephone numbers are current at your child’s school. In addition, media outlets and the PSD website (www.psdschools.org) will be notified about early release information.
• B.A.S.E. (Before and After School Enrichment) Camp will not be available after school if schools release students early.
For more information about school closure information, contact Danielle Clark. PSD communications director at 490-3427.
Media outlets notified include:
KCOL 600 AM
KCSU 90.5 FM
KFKA 1310 AM
KGRE 1450 AM
KISS 96.1 FM
KJJD 1170 AM
KKQZ 94.3 FM
KOA 850 AM
KOOL 105 FM
KQOF 1410 AM
KRFC 88.9 FM
KUNC 91.5 FM
TRI 102 102.5 FM
Spanish radio stations:
KGRE 1450 AM
KJJD 1170 AM